Inspirational Video - Quasar - Intron Theory Forums
1st March 2007  #1
Captain Jack

: Feb 2007
: 173
Inspirational Video

This movie trailer is pretty cool. It's all done with 3D CGI animation, and there might be some useful ideas for how QIT might be constructed.
1st March 2007  #2
Vintage
Administrator

: Nov 2005
: 1,684
Re: Inspirational Video

hmm, don't have the plugin here at work, will look into that later. The image looks promising already
1st March 2007  #3
Vintage
Administrator

I just watched it and it looked very inspiring indeed. I think we can manage to get that same quality, at least in the end after having developed a lot. I'm sure I can make similar music already. That shouldn't be a problem. Considering 3D effects, I'll have to learn a bit, but it should still be doable.

What do you think?
1st March 2007  #4
Captain Jack

It should be fairly easy. I'm pretty sure that the character animation was done with Poser, because a couple of those characters look like stock characters for that program made by Daz-3D (I shop there quite a bit). I think they probably used something else for the rendering, because of the lighting and shadow effects, but I'm not sure what. I've got about half a dozen renderers that I use for Poser art. I'd be willing to bet that they used a post processing program, probably Adobe After Effects, to do some of the special effects and sound compositing.

I've got a few hundred pre-made 3D models of everything from people to dragons, wild animals to cars, and plants to space ships. After I get done working on the UFO animation I'm doing, I'll see if I can't do up something in the way of a full blown 3D animation to show off some options.
1st March 2007  #5
Vintage
Administrator

In other words, it's not his work, rather some animation.

Still, I believe we can manage to reach that quality with self-made models. I'm absolutely convinced we should make everything ourselves.

For other purposes, yes, it may come in handy to buy a model.
2nd March 2007  #6
The_Enigma
quasar writer

: 230

Not a clue what's going on in the film, but I agree its rather stunning, and something which we can better
2nd March 2007  #7
Captain Jack

:

In other words, it's not his work, rather some animation.

Still, I believe we can manage to reach that quality with self-made models. I'm absolutely convinced we should make everything ourselves.

For other purposes, yes, it may come in handy to buy a model.
We'll certainly have to make our own for any models that are used interactively in the game. Models are normally only licensed for use in creating images. For interactive game elements, we'll need our own models, although we can use purchased models for animations and stills. For known human elements in animations, like airplains, people, flight suits, and so on, purchasing models may save some time. For the N'yari and their stuff, making our own models is important for "branding", so that nobody else has anything that looks like it.